A local move is any move within hundred miles. If you are moving farther than that, you are making a long-distance move. In the latter one, the overall moving costs might be greater.
If you hire movers
It has to be kept in mind that every move is different in its own way. Thus, whether or not you should go for a professional mover depends on the specifics of your move like the nature of the move and many more. You must consider the pros and cons of both options. Do compare them with your requirements plus priorities.
When it comes to hiring professional local movers, the biggest benefit is that you would not have to take the stress of doing it yourself. Majority of the moving companies offer a vast variety of services. These include packing, storage, and transportation. As per your requirements and preferences, you can ask your movers to provide you with certain additional services. They would do it fast and efficiently. This tends to make the relocation less stressful for you.
Now, there are certain downsides when it comes to hiring a moving company. Your relocation might be scheduled and flexible. The price tag also needs to be kept in mind. Because most local moves are charged on an hourly basis, you can estimate the overall cost of yours by looking at the price estimate offered by the moving company. This prices might be required to be multiplied depending on how long it would take to be done with your relocation. Of course, it is possible to find affordable movers. However, the overall moving cost might exceed the costs of a DIY move.
If you move by yourself
Moving by yourself can provide you with some advantages. You are likely to be in control of the entire process. This implies that you can pack at any point of time. Also, you can load a moving truck. You can simply as per your own schedule. Thus, you have a good deal of freedom here. However, you would have to spend money on the moving truck, gas and various packing supplies. There might be a lot of hidden costs involved here. In a DIY move, you might have a hard time doing all the planning and heavy lifting. If these are weak areas for you, consider hiring a moving company.
Why to hire a moving company when making a local move?
A lot depends on the nature and size of your move. If your move is large, it might be difficult to handle. When you have big house and plenty of things, it would be difficult for you to plan everything. Short-distance moves are easier to handle. In such cases, hiring local movers is your top choice. This would allow you to do away with trouble of having to pack, load and transport your belongings. Also, you would not have to deal with lugging any heavy furniture around.
The time-frame also needs to be considered here. In general, moving is a time-taking process. Doing it all by yourself would surely take a lot of time. This duration might be more if you have no previous DIY or moving experience. Thus, if time is a major concern for you, make sure to hire reliable movers to complete your home move. This way you can ensure a timely and safe local move.
Moving can be stressful for your mental health. Apart from that, it can be dangerous for you physically as well. When it comes to lifting heavy boxes and the heavy furniture items, professionals are required. Relocation needs someone to lift a lot of heavy items. There are many people who do not really know how to lift safely. So, you must let them do it for you.
How to hire a good local mover?
- Do your research and compare In order to find an affordable and reliable local moving company, make sure to get a quote from three or four companies, in the least. This might be time-consuming. If your local move is a bit complex, make sure to hire a local moving company. You might have to compare prices. Do it wisely.
- Look into their credentials Make sure to ask the movers for their license number. You can then head to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety website. Here, you can verify those credentials.
- Ask relevant questions Prior to hiring a local moving company, ensure that you gather various details about their rates. This might include additional fees plus hidden costs. Check if you need additional boxes. Make sure to ask them how much that costs. If you are required to move a piano, inform the moving company. Make sure to ask them if it is available at an extra cost. Keep in mind that if you know about all the costs, it would be easier for you to comprehend the final bill!
- Read genuine reviews Through reading reviews from various previous clients, you can gain a good insight about the local moving company. You can gain a lot of info about the moving company. Do not go for moving companies that have one-star reviews. However, instead of just searching, research!
- Look beyond price! You must never choose a local mover only on the basis of price. Keep in mind that the least expensive mover might be the best option to go for. You must make sure that you have thoroughly researched the moving company. Keep in mind that rogue moving companies will try to lure in customers with low costs, special deals etc. Do consider where you are moving to, as well.
There are various benefits of hiring a professional moving company when it comes to handling your local move. You must never forget that even a local move can be hard and stressful. If time and safe of your items are major factors for you, do make sure to hire a reliable and professional local mover.